In Victoria, sex education is compulsory for students from Prep (Foundation) to Year 10. All our school-based programs are age-appropriate, and cover not just anatomy, puberty and reproduction but also body safety (protective behaviours), respect, friendships and the risks of technology. Our courses are devised in line with the Victorian Curriculum, and are run with sensitivity, patience and humour.
When it comes to our programs, we value diversity and respect for all, and understand that different families and communities will hold different expectations.
Schools can also keep up-to-date with our latest workshops, as well as receive useful links, articles and resources relevant to their students with our newsletter here.
We also offer Parent Information Evenings, which are run for the parents of students who are about to start one of our programs at their school.
If you’d like to see what other schools, students and parents are saying about us, you can find our testimonials here.
PRIMARY LIVING & GROWING PROGRAMS
At the primary level, quality sex education programs have been shown to:
- help increase children’s personal safety
- help increase children’s confidence and self-esteem
- support children to make healthy decisions as they grow older
SEA delivers programs for students from Prep to Year 6.
LIVING & GROWING PROGRAMS YEARS 5—6
Time: 3 x 90 minute sessions over three consecutive weeks
- conception, pregnancy and birth
- names and functions of reproductive parts
- physical, social and emotional changes of puberty
- managing friendships
- respect for self and others
- responsible use of technology and social media
- key messages on ‘body safety’
LIVING & GROWING PROGRAM YEARS 3—4
Time: 3 x 60 minute sessions
- basic male and female reproductive anatomy
- personal safety and body safety rules
- conception, pregnancy and birth
- explore what it means to be in a family
- introduction to changes of puberty
LIVING & GROWING PROGRAMS PREP—YEAR 2
Time: 3 x 45 minute sessions
- label basic private parts
- human development across the lifespan
- concepts of public and private
- personal and body safety messages
- exploring individual differences
- simple explanation of growth of the baby in the uterus (not Prep)
It was a superb program. The students were engaged, comfortable and supported throughout the program. They were valued and any misconceptions were handled respectfully. The class was exceptionally well managed and each child engaged with the content in their own way – some happy to answer every question and others happy to simply listen. The pace, structure and delivery of the program kept the students learning and thinking at all times. Year 5 teacher — Camberwell Grammar School
We highly recommend this program. The SEA teachers were able to easily connect and build rapport with all students. Each session was engaging and addressed any ‘tricky’ content with ease, maturity and relevance, which made everyone feel comfortable. The students responded positively and sensibly, enjoying activities and various appropriate resources. Year 5/6 teacher — Glen Iris Primary School
I’ve enjoyed the SEA classes and learnt so many new things. I thought it might be embarrassing and scary but you make it really interesting and fun. — Year 5 student
I feel so confident about this subject now. Thank you for answering all of our questions and explaining everything so clearly. I love SEA! —Year 6 student
I think your program is great. These lessons have been really helpful for my understanding about puberty and growing up. — Year 6 student
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Sign up to our free newsletter here which provides the latest relevant news and links to handy books, articles, videos and more.